5.01.2011

Terezín

the procession to nameless graves
bitter torn marks and fence on the wall
the end of the end
Terezín has changed my life in a way I'll never forget. 38 mi (60 km) from Prague is Terezín, one of the largest Nazi concentration camps during World War II. The stories I've heard have haunted me. I have felt the chills to my bone, which have felt colder than cold. I have heard the cries of men, women and children being stripped from all they ever owned. Silence. Reverence. These people were everyday people I know. Through the eyes of others, I have seen hatred from the past. But what was in the past still exists today. Tolerance has not yet been learned. And as I think about the will to survive, history and humanity, I really do hope there is hope in a brighter future.

No comments: