3.04.2009

Classic Oldies

Ever since I watched The Graduate last week, I am fully obsessed with Simon and Garfunkel and an absolute favourite, "Mrs. Robinson." After hearing "Mrs. Robinson" as a child, I'm still shocked. Now I know who Mrs. Robinson is! And that somehow makes me laugh every time I think of Mrs. Robinson. 
My dad always listens to the oldies station. Growing up I thought it was such crap music. During the 90's when 'N Sync, Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears were pop icons, heart throbs and scandalous childhood heroes, they were my life. I thought I was the coolest kid listening to the best music of all time. Britney Spears is still a pop icon in 2009 known with her hit single, "Womanizer" and "Circus." 
Well little did I know until now that all their music is now forgotten today. An old 90's pop song will occasionally play on some radio station, bringing back the nostalgic days of being a 90's kid. 
The oldies are classics not to be missed out on. I still love pop music, but discovering music from the past gives a sense of what music really once was, the music that lasted throughout the decades to our present day. Without knowing music from the past, one can never know where contemporary artists derive their ideas from.  

No comments: