3.11.2011

the cherry blossom weeps


image via quilt sandwich
I've always had this love for Japan. I've loved the people, the food and everything about Japan. I truly want to move there someday, but maybe when I have a grasp of the language. I've been there almost too many times to count, my passports filled with stamped Narita stickers. I always want to go back to Japan. I was even planning to go there in two weeks. But the earthquake and tsunami has made the world come to a standstill.
I first heard the news late last night on twitter. But I don't think the news really hit me until I woke up this morning. My mom told me about cancelled flights in Japan and a plane that landed in Tokyo when the earthquake happened. We have a Japanese friend, whose family is thankfully safe. She e-mailed us saying she couldn't sleep because it was her people on the line. I read the news and I didn't get out of bed until almost noon. I stayed under the covers, pretending the world isn't coming to an end. That thought never worked. When I finally did get out of bed, I watched some of the footage of what was happening. I couldn't believe any of it. What I was seeing looked like an apocalypse in the movies. But I knew all of this was very real.
All day, I've felt this heartbreaking sadness for all the victims. The sun came out and the weather was warm enough to go without a sweater, but there was this silence in me. The people I talked with seemed to go on with their own lives as though what's happening on the other side of the world isn't affecting them over here. I don't understand their unsympathetic tone because we live on one of the most major earthquake fault lines.
I keep thinking how everything could be gone, your family and friends, your home and the world you once knew, believed, dreamed, hoped and lived in. How many lives and lost ones have been affected?
My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Japan. My family has donated to the relief efforts. I'll continue to help out in every way I can and I'll keep praying. I hope everyone who can contribute will help in some small way for the victims and families affected.

1 comment:

Diana Mieczan said...

Its such a sad news. My thoughts are with people of Japan. Im totally heartbroken. Hugs, darling